The VII International Wind, Brass & Percussion Festival “Silver Sounds”. March 28 - 31, 2013
The VII International Winds, Brass & Percussion Festival “Silver Sounds”
is organized by
The Ministry of Culture of the Russian Federation
Petrozavodsk State Glazunov Conservatory
in association with
the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Karelia
Petrozavodsk K. Rautio Musical College
Petrozavodsk City Administration
Children’s Musical School named after Gelmer Sinisalo
Petrozavodsk Centre of Youth Creativity
Aims of the festival
1. to promote and diffuse interest in music performance on wind & brass instruments and percussion
2. to discover and showcase highly gifted young performers on wind & brass instruments and percussion
3. to develop the art of music performance on wind & brass instruments and percussion
4. to enrich the repertoire of soloists and ensembles performing on wind & brass instruments and percussion
5. to foster cultural exchange nationally and internationally
Dates of the festival
The festival is held from the 28th to the 31st of March 2013
Program of the festival
1. Concert “The Parade of Wind & Brass Orchestras”
2. Concerts of soloists
3. Concerts of ensembles
4. Joint concert of the festival’s participants
5. Conference on the issues of music performance on wind & brass instruments
6. Master-classes of the professors from the Petrozavodsk State Glazunov Conservatory, the Russian Gnesins Academy of Music and the University of Minnesota, Duluth, USA
Rules & Repertoire
The festival is open to young performers on wind & brass instruments and percussion of all nationalities up to 30 years old as well as laureates of the previous “Silver Sounds” festivals held in 2011 and 2012. There is no age limit for the participants of wind & brass orchestras. It is allowed to include an accompanist for ensembles on any instrument (except for duets).
All the participants from 12 years old and above join the festival’s orchestra at the final concert and thus must be able to perform Solemn March by Pyotr Tchaikovsky (arrangement by S.Ganichev), selected works from “Sampo” by Helmer Sinisalo (Ilmarinen and the Bride’s Song, Dance of the People of Kalevala) and Sabre Dance from “Gayaneh” by Aram Khachaturyan.
The venues for public auditions and concerts are concert halls of the Petrozavodsk State Glazunov Conservatory, the Petrozavodsk K. Rautio Musical College and the Children’s Musical School named after Gelmer Sinisalo. The participants are provided with practice facilities and have opportunity to rehearse in the venues.
The program is freely determined by the participant and should not exceed 20 minutes for orchestra members (orchestra parade on the stage of 8 x 20 m is recommended), 10 minutes for soloists and ensembles (one or two music pieces).
The performances are evaluated by the Jury. The decisions of the Jury are final and are not subject to appeal. Prize winners are awarded by the Laureate diploma.
The application package must be received by the organizing committee of the “Silver Sounds” Festival no later than February 1, 2013 and sent by post (Petrozavodsk State Glazunov Conservatory, 185031, Leningradskaya 16, Petrozavodsk, Russian Federation) and e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Registration is based on:
• Application form typed in English or Russian
• Copy of the applicant’s passport or birth certificate (original document to be presented upon arrival)
• Recent color photos of the applicant suitable for publicity purposes (in JPEG format and printed 10*15)
• Applicant’s profile including contact details/ teacher’s and accompanist’s full names/orchestras’ or ensembles’ members list/ instruments/repertoire
Registration fee of 1500 rubles (approx. 50 USD) is to be paid upon arrival. Travel expenses and accommodation are sole responsibility of the participants. The organizing committee may assist with the accommodation of participants, teachers and accompanists in case of advance booking.
Prof. Roman Vorobiov
Tel./fax 8142672367 (Russian speaking only)
Mobile 89062066750 (English speaking)